Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rachael Finch - Global darling and Australia's pride







“I don’t know why we’re even here, that Rachael girl is going to win”.

Famous last words from an obviously intimidated competitor at the Miss Universe Australia 2009 Finals. This was a popular sentiment among the girls that year. As the competition heated up, Rachael’s name was being mentioned in nervous whispers amongst the girls. The real competition was for the position of first runner up.

When Rachael Finch decided to come back a second time for the title, she came back a force to be reckoned with.

She was a hot favourite to win the crown in the Miss Universe 2009 pageant and for the first time in six years, the nation believed that the crown will once again be on the head of an Australian.

While it was not meant to be, Rachael made her mark regardless and is now considered one of the all time favourite Miss Universe Australias of all time.

Rachael Finch is not your typical pageant girl. While she speaks with confidence and with authority and the media exposure has given her that air of celebrity which could reduce a fan to tears, she has not lost that down to earth charm which helped her clinch the title.



Rachael is the kind of girl who makes you feel like a star. By that, I mean that when she talks to you, she talks to YOU – as if you and her are the only two people in the room and no one else is around. Yes, she is very polished but unlike many pageant girls who are groomed to the hilt and come across as mechanic, Rachael comes across as genuine and sincere. When I told her I would be writing about her for Critical Beauty her eyes lit up and said “my MOTHER LOVES YOU GUYS!!!”

More often than not she is the first to say hello to you and is incredibly accommodating. Running into her after the Kooey fashion show at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week, I reminded her about the interview questions I sent her a week before and that I was on deadline. She promised me that she would have it over to me in 36 hours.


She kept her promise.

What a class act.

As the count down begins to her finals days as Miss Universe Australia 2009, I wanted to give you a small insight into the person who is Rachael Finch.

Below is a transcript of my interview with her.


1) Rachael, you were considered to be one of the girls to watch out for in 2009. What kind of preparation did you have to go through to prepare you for the competition?
To prepare for the competition I tried to do as much as I could to get me feeling at my best. That means creating a healthy balance of nutritious food, exercise, relaxation, family time and study of current affairs. These are important aspects to my everyday life that I enjoy!

2) You competed in Miss Australia Universe twice. You must have really wanted to win the title! Congratulations and thank you for persevering. What motivated you to compete the second time?
I really wanted the chance to represent my country on the international stage and become a voice in Australia to make a positive impact. I believe the Miss Universe pageant is much more than a competition for beautiful women – it’s a platform for growth on physical, intellectual and spiritual levels.

3) Why do you think it worked out for you the second time around? What did you do differently?
I went away from the competition in 2008 and focused on the areas that I could have improved on. I asked myself a set of questions. What did I want from life? What did being Miss Universe Australia mean? I believe adapting the right mindset is important as a contestant in Miss Universe – or any competition for that matter. Once you truly believe you can, anything is possible.

4) How has competing for Miss Universe changed things for you?
I have been fortunate in being presented with opportunities on personal and professional levels. I have traveled the world and met people with incredible stories and had the chance to work with young Australians and share my experiences. I have also been able to explore work in the television industry.

5) What was the most rewarding thing when you competed internationally? What was your biggest challenge?
The most rewarding feeling was seeing my family wave the Australian flag in the crowd as I stood in the Top 5 line-up. I will never forget that. My greatest challenge was trying to be everywhere at once in the Bahamas so I didn’t miss out on any of the experiences!


6) What are your thoughts on Stefania Fernandes? To be honest, none of us expected a back to back win.
Stephania is a beautiful woman and although I didn’t get the chance to know her that well I believe she deserved the title and I’m sure she has done a wonderful job in the role.

7) What will Rachael Finch be doing when you relinquish your crown in June? Who is Rachael Finch when she hands over the Miss Australia Universe title?
I’ll be spending time with my family and taking the time to celebrate a great year. I would love to work closely with the new Miss Universe Australia and prepare her for the experience she is about to have. Rachael Finch wants to wake up each day enjoying what she does for work. I believe that is the key to success. My passions are food, travel, health & nutrition, sport and fashion. Working in any of these areas would be ideal!

Note: As I write this article Rachael is busy rehearsing for the 2010 season of Dancing With The Stars set to air in the next two weeks.

8) Any advise for the lucky girl? What does she need to do to do well?
Be yourself and smile! A person’s eyes tell the honest story – when you’re happy on the inside it will certainly show on the outer.

9) Do you keep in touch with any of the girls you competed with?
Sure do! Miss USA – we roomed together while in the Bahamas and never stopped laughing.

10) Do you have any idea of the impact you have made in the pageant community?
It’s overwhelming to think about the impact I have had in the pageant community. I loved every second of my experience at the Miss Universe competition and would go back in a heartbeat.

11) Any messages you want to pass on to our readers? What shall we watch out for?
To believe in your own dreams and do what makes you happy. If you have the confidence within yourself you can accomplish anything. Don’t let go of hope – it gives you the strength to keep going when you feel like giving up. Remember we only get one shot at life, just do it!






Good luck Rachael!




All photos courtesy of Kevin Lue Photography and Miss Universe Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment